1) Nature of the crimes. Knowingly assaulting someone with intent to rob them and knowingly using a stolen card. This is enough to get any player a dismissed from any school.
2) This is the University of Alabama. The whole country will be watching what happens here. Alabama is on top of college football and does not need to tolerate this kind of behavior. In other words they don't have to keep these players to be successful. Other struggling schools might need these players and just suspend them or put them on probation. These schools see their program's future success outweighing their players' criminal behavior. All schools do this, that's why star players get many chances. Alabama is at a point where they do not need to allow this to happen. Bama does not need these type players.
3) Privilege. It is a privilege to play football at the University of Alabama no matter if you are on scholarship or not. Those players who feel like it is an entitlement should not be there.
4) Players represent their school. All players represent their school even when they are committing crimes. All headlines are going to list the school's name first, then tell the crimes committed.
5) Ignorance. - Just read the charges and you will wonder what in the heck were these idiots thinking. Well there is your answer....they are idiots. They are ignorant of what they are doing in college, have no idea how they are supposed to act, probably don't care that they got caught, and have no idea of what they did wrong. All they know is that they saw someone with something they wanted, and took it.